Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'm dreaming right?

That is how I feel right now. I feel like at any moment I will wake up screaming and find out the last few days have been one big nightmare. The MRI results came back showing severe delayed Myelin. Myelin is what surrounds the central nervous system. When no Myelin is there the neurons (or is it Axons?) die off. Then the blood work came back. A few of the results were abnormal. One being the test involving the enzyme with the Very Long Chain Fatty Acids (VLCFA). This, along with the MRI results indicate to the doctor's that Zach most likely has some form of Leukodstrophy. Such a scary word. Unfortunately for us the doctors, including his neuro are dragging their feet and hedging around the facts. We did find out that he gets to go to Iowa City Children's Hospital in a few weeks but this is only to see a developmental pediatrician. It will have nothing to do with these new findings. In fact this is an appointment we were trying to get BEFORE all these other tests were ran. When I ask about when Zach will see a neurologist at IUCH they tell me it could be months, maybe even a year. Their excuse? They want to do another MRI in 9 months before getting another opinion. Bullshit. They tell me these things take time. Time that my little boy may not have. So a friend recommended we call Mayo. I did and was pleased and shocked at how fast they moved. They said as soon as they receive his records they will schedule him an appointment, most likely getting him in before the end of September. His pediatrician and neuro promised to fax everything Mayo needs by the end of the week.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about the recent findingings and hope that Mayo can get you in quickly and help answer any questions you have.

    - Kori (also from BBC board)

    ReplyDelete